Thursday 15 December 2011

Top antisemitic slur film director Lars von Triers wins best movie at European film awards

From Simon Wiesenthal's 2011 Top Ten Anti-Israel/Anti-Semitic Slurs list:
“I understand Hitler... He’s not what you would call a good guy, but yeah, I understand much about him and I sympathize with him a little bit. But come on, I’m not for the Second World War, and I’m not against Jews... I am of course, very much for Jews. No, not too much, because Israel is a pain in the ass… I’m very much for Speer. Albert Speer [Hitler’s Architect]… He was also maybe one of God’s best children… Okay, I’m a Nazi.”

Director Lars Von Trier was thrown out of the Cannes Film Festival after this rant,  May 18, 2011. He later apologized. READ SOURCE...

Did he apologize? Not really:  "In the October 2011 issue of GQ, Von Trier is quoted in an interview saying he was not really sorry for the comments he made, only sorry he didn't make it clear that he was joking. He added, "I can't be sorry for what I said—it's against my nature." On October 5, 2011, Von Trier was interviewed by police in Denmark about his remarks at Cannes. Afterwards, he announced that he had 'decided from this day forth to refrain from all public statements and interviews'."

And ...

BBC: Lars von Trier wins best movie at European film awards: Science fiction drama Melancholia, directed by Lars von Trier, was named best movie at this year's European Film Awards in Berlin.

1 comment:

Adam said...

It seemed pretty clear that it was a very bad joke, not intended by him to reflect poorly on Jews in any way. To me, he doesn't seem like the greatest guy to have a beer with, but that has more to do with his ego, his personality, and perhaps also reflexive anti-Americanism, not palpable anti-Jewish feeling.